Job Ref: PB715 11/11
£85,000 + 30% Bonus
The IT Portfolio Manager will along with the team be primarily responsible for management and execution of the business change projects enabled by IT in United Kingdom and Ireland. IT Portfolio Management is also responsible for managing engagement between the Business and IT. The Portfolio Management team consists of IT Portfolio Managers, Project Managers, Business Analysts and a PMO team.
Joining the IT Portfolio Management team as an IT Portfolio Manager you will primarily focus on ensuring successful delivery of the projects within the assigned portfolio, capturing available synergies, balancing delivery priorities and constraints and managing projects/portfolios interdependencies. You will be working closely with the Business Change function and Business Leads to deliver change.
• Typically portfolios are aligned with business areas and functions and formed of 15-20 projects with a budget of £5-7M.
• Typically projects in a portfolio will be of a high business criticality with multiple systems and business processes interdependencies due the highly inter-connected nature of business operating model.
• You will be assigned to deliver change for a particular business area or function. However due to a highly inter-connected business operating model you will be expected to develop a good knowledge of the company’s business model, key systems, processes, underpinning business operational integrity.
• You will be managing a team of up to 15-20 direct reports (Project Managers, Business Analysts and other roles) and be responsible for their line management and career development.
• You will also act as the IT “Account Manager” for the assigned business areas and will be required to develop close “trusted partner” relationships with business colleagues and ensure that the IT/Business relationship is supported by clear understanding of both sides’ roles and responsibilities.
What You Will Be Doing
• Manage a pipeline of planned & unplanned company business and requests.
• Identify business needs & opportunities & feed them into demand management process.
• Participate in the business’ 5 year planning & annual budgeting process, providing IT related input.
• Support Business Leads & Project Sponsors through project formulation, investment application & business case preparation.
• Develop delivery strategy, managing inter-portfolio dependencies, capturing available synergies.
• Measure portfolio performance & ensure value maximisation.
• Work with Resourcing Capacity Manager to make the best use of resources.
• Identify & manage key dependencies between projects, portfolios & on-going BAU activities.
• Identify portfolio risks & issues & manage in a timely fashion.
Project Delivery Assurance:
• Provide guidance, support & assurance to Project Managers, aimed at achieving delivery on time, budget & to customer expectations.
• Provide guidance & support to Business Analysts, ensuring accurate & comprehensive capture & validation of business requirements.
• Ensure projects’ adhere to project delivery framework, architecture standards & operating model.
• Monitor the progress of individual projects, working with project teams to understand & track delivery, anticipate risks & ensure effective resolution.
• Ensure that project plans, costs, risks, issues, actions etc. are documented & tracked in accordance with procedures.
Business Relationship Management & Consulting:
• Build, own, develop & foster the IT / Business relationship for the assigned business areas.
• Identify key IT business enablers, engage relevant IT teams to support business strategic & BAU agenda.
• Inform business of upcoming innovations.
• Work with business stakeholders & Service Delivery to identify Service Improvement Plans opportunities.
Stakeholder Management & Communication:
• Form strong, positive working relationships at all levels in their client organisations, including Board Members, Heads of Functions, Business Change Leads & various SMEs.
• Identify stakeholder needs & requirements & manage delivery/service expectations.
• Provide regular reporting updates, presentations to the Business Divisional Board
What We Are Looking For
• Act as a management & behavioural role model.
• Extensive experience of managing portfolios of IT projects and Programmes covering Programme/Projects management roles plus additional experiences in other non-delivery IT/Business roles to broaden the overall understanding of technologies and IT delivery models and business context)
• Proven track record of managing Application Development and Infrastructure Upgrade projects
• Experience of looking after a multidimensional IT/Business agenda of various day-to-day IT matters
• Experience of establishing credible relationships within IT and Business community with examples of driving IT/Business change agenda, working at MD, CIO, CTO, Chief Architect level
• Experience of direct line management of Project Managers and Business Analysts
• Ability to see the big picture and think strategically, analyze complex Business requirements and IT delivery options and be able to translate them into actionable deliverables (be it projects or BAU resolutions) and drive them to completion
• First-hand experience and knowledge of IT project delivery methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, etc.) with formal Project Delivery Accreditations (such as Prince2, MSP, APM, etc.)
• Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, in English.
• Comfortable communicating high level concepts to senior stakeholders whilst also being able to delve into the detail of complex changes when required.