Job Ref: PB735 18/01
£95,000 + Excellent Benefits
The role is accountable for the delivery, performance and maintenance of R&D IT systems and services required to run, grow and transform the R&D Discovery business domains. The incumbent will work effectively with IT Business Process Partners to implement the agreed IT strategy for the R&D domain, and to ensure that levels of IT service delivery are achieved in accordance with agreed targets.
She/He provides leadership, vision and direction to members of multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that programme, project and service goals are achieved within agreed time, cost, scope & quality parameters in line with business and IT objectives. The role has accountability for significant line management of staff based on sites across the globe. In addition, an effective partnership with outsourced suppliers and vendors, critical to successful systems delivery and maintenance at optimal cost and risk is essential.
Accountable for the implementation of IT projects and services required for the Discovery business domain.
• Accountable for ensuring that all 3rd party services are delivered at optimal cost and that capacity is fully utilized within their portfolio.
• Accountable to ensure that projects are successfully managed from inception to closure, delivering the agreed business benefits within agreed time, cost, scope and quality targets.
• Accountable to ensure adequate levels of resources for each project or service implemented for the domain. Project and service portfolio characteristics:
o Budgets from £500K- £50M; up to 20 projects running simultaneously
o Delivering across business units and geographies
o Line managed staff: up to 50
o Outsourced resources: up to 100 from strategic and non strategic suppliers
o Broad / Multiple IT Platforms & Technologies
o Stakeholders: SVP (across multiple business units / divisions/ functions)
o External Suppliers : strategic suppliers + product vendors
o Data complexity (volume, PII, confidentiality etc)
o Number of users > 0000’s+ (internal / External)
• Accountable to provide leadership and direction to project teams within domain and ensure that methodologies & standards consistent with IT and regulatory standards are followed.
• Accountable for developing and directing a team of service managers and service specialists for the ongoing support, compliance, maintenance, life cycle management and planning of several hundred production business applications used within their service line and ensuring the support strategy is in alignment with the overall IT and business direction.
• The leader will work directly with all IT groups, external product vendors, data vendors, and offshore support suppliers; setting objectives, service levels, and conducting service reviews with all areas.
• Accountable for identifying service improvements that will lead to improved robustness and lower total cost of ownership.
• Accountable for the management and remediation of any audit and compliance findings per Company standards and ensuring routine testing of agreed IT Continuity Plans.
• Accountable for inspiring and developing staff in his/ her team to deliver the highest levels of performance
Bachelors degree in life sciences. Higher degree preferred.
• Deep knowledge of pharmaceutical R&D
• Leadership in line and matrix management
• Track record of successful delivery of complex IT programmes and lifecycle management
• IT Service management and Continuous Improvement Skills
• IT continuity/ crisis management
• Broad knowledge of pharmaceutical R&D and an education in life sciences.
• Track record of successful delivery of complex IT development programmes.
• Good knowledge of industry standard and strategic IT platforms used in R&D and of IT project delivery methodologies.
• Ability to lead and drive simultaneously, project development and services which meet business need.
• Extensive experience as a line manager and leader of large teams.
• Ability to inspire, enable and support people to excellent performance.
• Extensive experience in managing outsourced ADM suppliers.
• Ability to manage crises and to define plans to resolve issues promptly.
• Ability to discern and dissipate distractions and trivia.
• Excellent influencing, communication and stakeholder management skills.
• Higher degree in life sciences with IT qualification or experience.
• Experience with ITIL based Service Management practices.
• Knowledge and experience working with Six Sigma/Lean Sigma processes and tools.